Who is your main bank?

Whats the best bank to run alongside Monzo for emergencies or just to have as a fallback for when things go wrong. Do banks get irritated by customers having a dormant account?

By best i mean feature wise and similarity (Except Starling of course).

I have standing orders set up for 1p from my Starling account to all of my unused accounts with other banks every month to keep them marked as ā€˜activeā€™. Havenā€™t had any dormancy issues yet? :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Itā€™s pretty much the same for me. I count Triodos as my main acount, but Iā€™ve been a bit of a fintech addict too and it would be hard to restrict myself to just one account.

The only real difference youā€™d notice with Triodos is that Faster Payments might take two hours. (Iā€™m old enough to remember transfers taking days!) On the plus side, card transactions appear instantly in mobile banking and you can get SMS instant notifications if you want.

If I really need or want to use Apple Pay I just route it through Curve.

I use YNAB for budgeting so all those new fangled fintech ā€˜spacesā€™ and ā€˜potsā€™ that get others very excited are just an annoyance to me. Triodos doesnā€™t have anything like that.

Where they really do fall down is in Open Banking though I canā€™t honestly work out whether itā€™s Triodos whose API doesnt work or the providers who canā€™t be bothered with Triodos. It means for me that Triodos transactions have to entered manually into YNAB, where Starling (or suchlike) just need to be matched and reconciled.

In the end, Iā€™m a joiner and I have the things I want to be associated withā€¦ politics, charities and causes. Iā€™d love to see a more competitive ecosystem of smaller providers with space for ethical and mututal organisations such as community banks. Using Triodos is a small gesture in that direction. Some people will be more price sensitive but to me Ā£3 is a very cheap fee for a fairly decent and humane banking service.

2 Likes

RBS for pay, main/joint bills and any large transfers

Revolut for x3 personal bills and pretty much all my spending at the moment

Monzo have been sidelined of late. Only thing I miss, pending direct credits/debits

That seems like a dealbreaker to me, honestly. Itā€™s an account with no attractions, other than the ethical angle, to be blunt.

There is no interest, no favourable allowances on cash withdrawals or spending abroad, etc. No ability to pay in cash at all. No ability to use the post office. Cheque imaging is totally out of the question. No Apple Pay. No notifications (SMS donā€™t count). No Open Banking. Even faster payments take hours (yikes)!

Iā€™m used to these modern niceties and if I had to cope without them I could, but I also wouldnā€™t choose to forgo them.

To add insult to injury, in a way, you are then asked to pay for what amounts to an extremely basic account with no perks at all.

Paying a fee for peace of mine to ā€œavoid feesā€ doesnā€™t sit right with me, especially when Iā€™m paying no fees that Iā€™m not recouping at my other banks. Itā€™s not for me. And yes, I know Iā€™m exactly the kind of freeloader that the vulnerable overcharged customers are paying for, but then so are most people and itā€™s the way the business model is set up in this country. I doubt Triodos will change that, as the current situation sadly benefits the majority at the massive expensive of the minority.

4 Likes

Go for the special Child & Co sortcode!

15-80-00

Yep, Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ve always come to the same conclusion with Triodos. The ethical angle is totally fair enough, and Iā€™d see paying a fee for a more moral business model a valid offering if it didnā€™t also buy you the privilege of having seriously handicapped features compared to even the most legacy of old fashioned banks. I mean lack of Apple Pay is bad enough in 2021, but two hours for faster payments - that really is a joke!

Iā€™ve only encountered two banks that arenā€™t instant (Co-op and Tesco) and it put me off using them.

When I say not instant here, I mean that payments take between 2 and 30 minutes to arrive. Nowhere near as bad as Triodosā€™s two hours, which I would actually consider unusable.

I set up yesterday and wasnā€™t given an option for this!

Mind you I have absolutely no idea whatā€™s going on, I did the id uploads and then the process stops and havenā€™t heard anything since!

This always makes me amused.
The guarantee is payment is made within 1 working day. Yes near instant payments are mostly seen as the normal.

Most banks commit to 2 hours. Think itā€™s still quite quick.

1 Like

This is so true. Monzo try to do the same, to an extent, with their ā€œsmall and transparentā€ fees, and I never got it. Iā€™ve never paid a fee for my banking in the UK (except for things like blue rewards, where I still get a net benefit).

And paying for an account that has arguably less/worse ā€œfeaturesā€ than its free competitors quite frankly seems totally ridiculous to meā€¦

3 Likes

I feel the same way about Triodos as I do about carbon offsetting. Itā€™s been made up so that people can pay a convenient fee to feel good, but does nothing more. Without full transparency you canā€™t actually be sure that your money is spent as they promise and that there is no (wanted or unwanted) negative impact. So I just choose not to do it

3 Likes

To be fair to them, the ethical angle is the entire point of the bank existing - they donā€™t really make any other claims.

I think youā€™ll probably struggle to find a bank that is more transparent than Triodos in terms of where the money is going. Itā€™s possible that theyā€™re lying but at some point you do need to trust what youā€™re being told, otherwise youā€™re going to have a bad time in life trusting nothing at all.

Iā€™d disagree that ethical banking is the same as carbon offsetting - choosing not to allow your money (or profit made from you) to go to an organisation that may then invest that money in activities you consider undesirable is a direct way of removing money from those activities and making them less able to operate. Carbon offsetting is continuing to pay money in to an industry, allowing them to profit, and then paying an additional fee to hope the bad goes away. Due to the sums of money involved people making the former choice may not make much practical difference, just like choosing not to buy a mobile phone plan from Vodafone isnā€™t going to cause them to go bust, but it is a valid choice and allows people to choose what industries their money is supporting.

As I think I said in another thread, Triodos is definitely a niche bank and I think they always will be - and thatā€™s fine, it is always good to have more options in the market. It is not going to be the right bank for most people.

5 Likes

You can choose the sort code?!

I donā€™t think you can anymore. RBS have removed the Sort Code chooser from their application

1 Like

No, I signed up yesterday, no choice at all

1 Like

This stuff makes me want it even more now!

Thereā€™s a recent MSE thread where someone said they were allowed to pick a sort code recently, and someone else who said they werenā€™t. Not sure what it is!

Try signing up and let us know how it goes? :laughing:

I totally would but 1) I donā€™t want an RBS account unless itā€™s Child & Co branded and 2) it would just sit dormant anyway

Perhaps a mobile vs website thing?

Could be ā€“ someone was talking about a pop-up branch selector. How did you sign up, @anon55596034 ?

1 Like