Who is your main bank?

This recent thread from MSE (this month) shows it is still possible:

1 Like

The card in Apple Pay looks very nice too.

Which makes me want a card design thread on here now. Love seeing what’s out there and never seen this card before!

4 Likes

I started the signup in app but then after about 4 questions it send you to the mobile website

Edit
The process was definitely not as quick or slick as the Fintech banks like Starling or Monzo but was easier then going in branch.

However, I have no access to it whatsoever. I dd the ID stuff, then it just takes you to a faq page which basically says theyre checking it and they’ll be in touch when they’ve approved it.

I got an email last night that says I have a new message regarding my new account, log into your online banking to view it.

Can’t log in as haven’t been given any details, and cant reset anything because you need different details i haven’t been given to do that.

Basically can’t do anything until the card arrives. Bit of a mess and offputting so far

Maybe it’s a desktop v mobile thing then? About their desktop website for signups is just the mobile site, blown up big.

Edit: wow, that’s bad. I signed up for NatWest a couple of years ago in app, and I remember that was smooth. Didn’t need ID as they did it all based on my credit file. I just had to answer random questions like what’s my loan balance, do I have a mortgage, etc

By the way, can anyone banking with Nationwide say how they are? I keep reading they’re a bit behind on the tech front and like blocking card purchases at inconvenient times? I’m so undecided where I want my JA!

1 Like

I had no questions like that whatsoever

They might’ve realised it’s not as secure as checking IDs? I’m sure that’s how signup for NatWest worked at that time but I may be misremembering

Fair enough, I was eager to take a proper look at Natwest, but the onboarding hasn’t been pleasant thus far, however, they have a dark mode so I might forgive them :joy:

Yep. I’ve received the card within three days. There’s no account number on it - simply the long card number.

I also got a welcome email which invited me to download the app and crack on - set up digital banking and the like.

Trouble is, having got the app, you can’t set up digital banking because you don’t have a customer number or account number. They’ll come in a letter a few days down the road…. So I’m still part way there….

The unrelated worry was that clicking the “open in your browser” link in the welcome email took me to page of what appears to be Chinese text and photos of roads and stuff !!

I tweeted that to RBS on the assumption it’s a hack or something but not heard back yet.

All a bit weird and clunky. But I’ve got a card …… :roll_eyes:

That’s wild!

Frightened the living daylights out of me. :flushed:

Imagine if it was your road! :laughing:

1 Like

Mmmm, you’ve been talking to my Wife because that’s what she says about me to anyone who asks

1 Like

All the NatWest cards I’ve seen since they’ve gone flat looked and felt terrible.

As Child & Co are just an RBS branch with an old name (for us laypeople at least), I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case.

1 Like

It’s flat like all the others but not terrible.

It was nicer back when it was a proper card that wasn’t flat.

RBS’s flat cards just feel insubstantial and I don’t like the way they are printed.

Are there any customers here with a Starling joint account? If so, what are your thoughts and how well does it integrate with a Starling personal account?

I’m edging more and more toward letting Nationwide go and just keeping Starling and RBS. It’s very much a toss up though between RBS and Starling as our main joint account for household expenditure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

See, different customers, different thoughts. I really quite like my RBS debit card, indeed, I prefer it over my Starling debit card.

1 Like

I’ve no problems with Starling joint account. Although whereas I used to think “oh, it’s just a colour!” when people moaned about the colour, I am now completely with them and it really does need to be different in some way.

There’s no real integration with personal accounts, other than needing one to get the joint account. Set up really easily.

1 Like

I never use the card, so can’t vouch for that, but they are behind of the tech front. They have a bad case of card reader syndrome!

@Topsy2 I would probably keep the account just as as backup, but I cannot imagine it offering anything special other than branch access (if you have one nearby) and the insurances (for customers who want that). In terms of actual banking features they are not great.

2 Likes

Yes, one of the ‘moans’ I’ve oft heard, is the fact that the joint debit cards are indistinguishable from the personal account cards. Why Starling won’t just make them different colours, I don’t understand personally.

2 Likes

Did you ever have one which wasn’t flat?

I felt they were better made in the old days, although the effect of the cheapness is far worse on standard NatWest cards than Child & Co RBS cards.