Best 'Fintech' Credit Card

So, I have an Amex. I use it for expenses, for sec 75, flights, hotels etc…

Despite that there are some occasions where I’d be better served by a Visa or Master. Spending abroad where I’d prefer extra security, putting things on expenses where Amex is not an option. I’d rather not use a clunky app.

I’m pre approved for Bip, Tymit and Zopa on Clear Score. I understand they won’t have a big limit but really that’s what the Amex is for…does anyone have any recommendations? Tymit is the lowest in terms of APR but I’d be clearing in full.

Understand they’re all fee free abroad?

P.s it needs to have an interest free period up to at least a statement period, Level are an example of a CC that doesn’t have this!

1 Like

The best ‘fintech’ credit card is Amex imo by a long shot.

Other thank that for a MasterCard or visas provider I’d go with any established card company with decent customer service. I had no issues with Barclaycard when I used them in the past.

Tymit are slow at responding… personal opinion but I’m not a fan, and I’m not a fan of most neo card companies because most of them seem to lack responsive support.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

2 Likes

Tbh, I’d probably go for Virgin. Their credit card so is pretty good, plus a decent limit - maybe an interest free period. And it works nicely eg with Emma

2 Likes

I’d go for the Lloyds Cashback as a backup. Not exactly fintech, nor do I like their app) but it works, and you get cashback

5 Likes

Yes, I’ve just moved from Platinum to the Cashback version.

2 Likes

Just a small note that this page may also help, feature wise - Account Overview - Fintech Forum

1 Like

It’s best to have an Amex, Visa and Mastercard (just in case you ever get into trouble abroad) so perhaps get two more credit cards if you can?

Certainly will look to have all bases covered in future. For now, I’m in a property chain so will probably only stretch to one search at most :thinking:

1 Like

That’s wise, I think. :+1:

1 Like

There’s actually a card that charges you interest from the date a transaction clears? :grimacing:

Yeah, Level. And TSB do one I think, at a lower APR

2 Likes

Years ago, I’m sure Amex used to charge interest as soon as a transaction cleared.

My first credit card, Access, had the “up to 56 days” interest-free period, though.

2 Likes

Had my first NatWest Access card in 1983, and I never paid a penny in interest to them as always paid in full. Even back then.

My first Amex was about thirty years later :rofl:

Didn’t pay them interest either.

1 Like

That advert would probably be hauled up in front of the ASA these days!

Not only was it arguably encouraging persistent debt, but it failed to explain how the credit card would work back when the average British person would have had a limited grasp of it.

Pretty shameful really.

Yeah - many of the adverts of my youth are real eye openers now!

1 Like

And short sighted. My parents outright refuse to use credit cards at all. Too many crappy experiences back in the day

2 Likes

I’m having a good 'ole chuckle to myself. I’ve just done a ‘soft search’ application for a MNBA credit card. MNBA are as probably many aware, part of the Lloyds Banking group. I currently, amongst my other cards (BA Amex and a legacy Nationwide Select), have a Lloyds Platinum card.

Anyway, I’ve been declined by MNBA. I suspect the reason is, I’ve only been at my new address for 3 months. I’m am on the Electoral Roll, despite 2 out of the 3 leading credit reference agencies reporting that I’m not on the Electoral Roll. I’m a retired/homemaker. I actually have not a too shabby quite healthy bank balance as it happens.

Am I bothered? No, not really. My Lloyds Platinum interest free period comes to an end in November. I’ll just pay it off and dump it because it will be pointless keeping it. To be fair, I’ve had well over a decade of interest free ‘loans’ from credit cards, so I can’t complain.

1 Like

You could also convert the Lloyds card to their new Cashback card, if that appeals to you.

I think you have to do it over the phone though.

1 Like

I was surprised to find I could (and did) convert to Cashback from Platinum online. :blush:

1 Like