Chase UK Discussion

Finally given in and opened Chase accounts this week. The lure of no fuss donor account creation was too much for me to resist!

The app based onboarding was possibly the best such process I’ve been through. Very very impressive.

I wish I had more reason to use them more fully really, IMHO their ongoing offer of in credit interest (but a fair bit less than what can be had easy-access) and 1% debit card spend, restricted and capped at £15 is very good but not much use for me personally. I’d love it if they went down the cashback on bills angle a la Santander 123.

Still eager to see what they can come up with on the credit card front. Santander’s Edge Credit Card is very strong.

5 Likes

Yeah, cashback on bills would be great. Don’t forget though that you can pay DDs directly from the savings accounts which has made a massive change for me.

1 Like

Chase now showing in my LBG open banking options

No idea how long that paste payee details button has existed but I’ve only just noticed and used it for the first time and it’s awesome.

I’ve largely kept my Chase account isolated from my other accounts and other financial associations. It’s only external link is to my Monzo and Barclays accounts. Everything has to flow through one of these accounts to either get into or out of Chase.

I’m starting to loosen my grip on this an add other frequent payees (only my own accounts though; Monzo and Cash App are for my P2P stuff still for the most part). This button completely parses your clipboard when sharing your account details from another banking app to fill all the boxes at once. No more back and forth copying one thing at a time.

What a lovely little touch to streamline an otherwise mundane and annoying admin task. It’s the little things like this that I especially love.

In some other news, it seems Chase have launched a 1% savings boost offer today until November, taking the instant access saver rate to 5.1%.

6 Likes

Where do I find that please! I’m still showing 4.1% and no notification of uplift. R-

1 Like

There should be a banner on the Home Screen of the app (might still be rolling out to folks gradually), and they’re sending out emails about it.

I can’t check on mine, because my phone is dead at the minute, but this is @MikeZ screenshot:

2 Likes

I’ve also just received an email from Chase with the 5.1% offer.

1 Like

Thanks both. No banner or email as yet. R-

1 Like

Similarly, with bated breath :smirk:

Edit: ….and breath out… :blush:

1 Like

Note that it doesn’t appear to apply to existing Chase savings accounts - you have to create a new one. I now have two - the original at 4.1% AER and the new one at 5.1% AER.

2 Likes

It seems only being offered to customers who are at a certain point on their Chase journey. Not me then! I tried your scenario @MikeZ - no go there either. R-

I’ve ten already so will have to close one first I think.

I got the mail and have opened a second saver which now shows the boosted rate as per @MikeZ - it did have an interstitial advising about the change to tracking below base rate, but I see that was mentioned already further up thread.

1 Like

Well, if it helps, my Chase journey is that I stopped using it over a year ago and it has been dormant with nothing in any of the accounts!

I am using the new 5.1% account and will be transferring what I’ve got in my Santander eSaver (currently 5.2%) until the rate plummets on the 20th May.

2 Likes

You had to have less than £500 across your Chase saver accounts on March 8th.

I got real lucky with the timing of my direct debits there.

2 Likes

This is what my wife’s going to do too, unless something better shows up. 5.1% is a very decent instant access rate.

2 Likes

I have more than that in the one assigned for my energy DD.

I deposit the recommended monthly DD into this account, and then pay the monthly bill - to the penny - for energy used, via variable DD.

Hence built a tidy sum (credit balance) in MY account instead of the energy provider’s.

Doesn’t reward those that have used it from day one and use their savings account still, despite the miserly rate then :rage:

Hands up, if I’m missing something obvious, but whilst I’m content to put some in the Boosted saver, I’m at a loss to understand the thinking behind the eligibility criteria. :thinking:

1 Like

To encourage “new” funds, I would guess, whilst assuming that it won’t cost them too much in extra interest.

I would have thought to the contrary. Surely those that stuck with them at the dire 4.1% rate would be the ones likely not to squeeze every last penny out of this offer :person_shrugging:

Expect a decent influx of five figure sums, if 5.1% still competitive come May.

1 Like

That sounds like my plan.

Though the chase rate is variable and, if there are BOE base rate cuts, the chase rate will drop from the 5.1%.