Chase UK Discussion

Yes, so you could have a “holiday” account and switch to that while you were away.

The shortcoming is, any regular bills paid by card would then end up going out of that account too (if taken during the time it was selected).

They need to figure out some logic for those situations. It could be either another set of card details per account, in addition to the numberless card, or some clever logic to be able to make subscriptions as “always pay from x account”.

2 Likes

Playing the devil’s advocate here but maybe it’s because you’re sending multiple payments to an account they can’t verify the payee details for?

Although whatever the reason, it’s appalling. Especially if you went through that rigamarole the first time around

Simply not using confirmation of payee should not, and could not, legally, be grounds to block somebody’s account.

And anyway, whatever concerns they had about the payee should have been cleared up at the previous (unnecessarily obstructive) security reviews. It should now be marked as such on their systems.

There is no excuse here.

1 Like

That’s how it reads to me

I don’t object to them call in verify my ID etc. But I do object to them saying that unless I explain why I wanted to open an account with Chase then they are going to lock me out of all my accounts - which they did.

I went through all security checks with them - explain who the bank was etc and the I had just opened an account with them. Not problem with all of that. Just the wanted to me to give an explanation about why I was opening an account with another bank.

Plus the woman calling me was on weird power trip - all very odd.

Anyway, I will CASS out - just got to work out to where !

2 Likes

I’m not normally in favour of going after a company on their service. In this case, though, I’d want to make a formal complaint.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve done.

And GBIT all this weeks transactions from Barclaycard to Chase :grin:

Money moving sweetly from Monzo to Chase.

Multiple top ups. No blocks.

Very neat.

There are a few switch offers on at the moment, so that could be an idea!

I’m thinking Nationwide. Use it for DDs and use Chase for day to day spend etc.

On the face it you are right, that should be enough but blame APP fraud and the Ombudsman. They are forcing refunds for customers who have had multiple fraud blocks with warnings, been to the branch and lied.

To be an ass, your terms and conditions did state that payments can be stopped at anytime.

Being a bigger ass , you got sent to the branch I suspect, as they couldn’t de-risk you. If you were being confrontational that is.

APP fraud is making no winners. The good news is that Chase don’t have branches and are not signed up to the code. So you have the privilege of less scam protection and no branch options.

1 Like

Interesting perspective.

I do appreciate the need for fraud protection - totally makes sense. But I feel the Fraud rep handled this really badly at multiple points in the call. I’m assuming the calls are recorded and it would be interesting to know what the person who looks into my complaint thinks when they listen to the recording.

Anyhow, I will be parting company with RBS.

1 Like

Interesting, thank you! Great to see no £10k daily card limit, so that puts it on par with the big banks and not Monzo/Starling’s capped daily spend. Domestically, the ATM allowance is very generous - in line with Lloyds, HSBC Advance, Barclays (if you select the top limit in your settings), and above Starling, Monzo, HSBC standard, NatWest Group, TSB and most others. As far as foreign ATM withdrawals are concerned however, Starling is seemingly still king!

The £10k bank transfer limit is disappointing, especially as a cumulative daily total - it’s low compared to the competition, and I assume for anything over that amount they’ll demand it be sent as a CHAPS payment, which they’ll probably have a fee for. Starling by comparison has a per transfer limit of £250k, and a daily total limit of half a million! …Not that most people would ever need to transfer that much, but in my mind the fewer restrictions that could possibly ever get in the way the better.

I’m curious what the ‘Need to change your card limits?’ link does… since the debit card transaction amount is limitless by default, is that perhaps an option to impose your own limit for security purposes?

1 Like

Well, to be extremely blunt (even rude) about it: the winners are the fools who are easily parted from their money entirely as a result of falling for a scam, and then end up forcing the bank (often via the ombudsman, as you say) to pay them back.

The other winners, obviously, being the scammers.

That’s why the whole system has got so out of hand; it’s disruptive to the average person quite often, doesn’t block all fraud anyway, and we now seem to have a regulatory regime that demands banks refund the stupid.

Meanwhile, everybody pays for it.

6 Likes

That’s the top limit for ordinary customers, Barclays Premier customers supposedly have a different slider that even goes up to £1,000 daily limit.

Maybe, but they can’t do those yet so I imagine you would get stuck and possibly told to wait until tomorrow?

It will be a bit difficult for Chase to charge a CHAPS fee since they don’t support CHAPS payments…

1 Like

I agree. The whole system has gotten ridiculous. Stop refunding people who proceed despite repeated warnings. Better yet, get rid of the whole shebang, simply have an “are you sure” screen and anyone who is stupid enough to send money to a Nigerian Prince (other nationalities and royalty available) despite the warning and all the press, is out of luck

1 Like

Yes, quite right - I forgot they don’t do CHAPS yet! I’d expect that’s on its way pretty sharpish though. Maybe for now if you needed to send more than that they might permit a temporary increase, or since they have actual telephone service they might process it over the phone instead. Who knows, I’m unlikely to need to transfer an amount that large any time soon though so should be ok! :man_shrugging: