Coop Bank Refer a Friend?

I did too!

The referral reward is showing in my account and I got an email to confirm it.

Did your switch complete OK?

Oh dear! Hopefully you’ve managed to get that sorted.

1 Like

Switch fine. With the payment this time they’re parring me off about the transfer. Saying my verification isn’t enough and it’s undergoing further checks which may take toll 9pm tomorrow lol. Apparently how they released the funds the last time was “wrong”. It’s slightly odd given it’s their own funds moving haha.

I’d have spent the money from the Coop card but had uses for it elsewhere - a wait ensues lol

That’s annoying. I’m pleased to hear the switch worked fine, at least that’s some good news.

I have also had (completely unrelated) issues recently with other banks blocking transfers to my own accounts, requiring a call to them and subsequent “quiz” to check I’m not being defrauded. You really can’t win on those, as even if you say you want the payment sent they are reluctant to do it in case you have been “coached” on what to say by fraudsters! So irritating! I wasted about 2 hours on the phone about it last week with two separate banks. They have a really condescending attitude towards customers in some cases too, implying that you are lying the whole time and speaking in a manner that indicates they are suspicious of you.

All I can think is that maybe there has been a rise in romance scams around Valentine’s Day, so banks have tightened up their risk sensitivity algorithms?

Exact experience here - how did it resolve itself!

Wish I’d kept the £50 there

1 Like

Long story short: after they had recorded me verbally accepting liability for a possible fraudulent transfer and read an extended script about scams, they did eventually release the money and I could go back to my business.

But one of the banks was far better during this process than the other!

1 Like

I offered for them to read me the script (as I did last time) - they backed off & refused

Also asked “what is the transfer actually for”

Boomer bank worse for yanky Algorithms than Revolut…

Hope to get it tomorrow

1 Like

It does sound like you just got an awkward agent, in part.

You also can’t appear to attempt to “outsmart” the process, as it throws up a red flag. So asking them to read you the script directly is probably not allowed.

You have to “play along” and make out the transfer is not urgent, otherwise they suspect pressure from someone else in the background.

That’s what I did and it “worked” in that my account wasn’t blocked and my transfer was eventually allowed, but it cost me a day’s interest in the end. Ah well.

1 Like

Yeah I said I wanted the money today because they were waffling about 9pm tomorrow. I mean in terms of standard FP times - but they see red flag

Either way - it’s counterintuitive ott kyc nonsense

The £50 is their own referral money :joy:

1 Like

Haha, classic!

KYC “what is this money and where has it come from” is a bit of a joke in that case, then.

1 Like

It’s utterly ludicrous! Shows how arbitrary a lot of it is.

Can’t say I’d entrust them with large sums at this rate.

Just want my 50 back to make it worth it!

1 Like

Yes, it’s very annoying when it happens and really makes you distrust the bank involved.

It is a bit disappointing to read about your experience, as I’ve never had a transfer blocked by them or found their customer service lacking on the few times I’ve interacted with them, hence why as suggested earlier that you may have just been unlucky with who you spoke to.

They did used to have card readers in the old days, though, and by virtue of their sheer awkwardness I think customers don’t get challenged as much when banks use those.

1 Like

PS: I you do want to be “off again” to another bank, maybe Lloyds are an idea. For a traditional bank, their app is fairly decent and they are currently offering a switching incentive to go their Platinum or Club Lloyds Platinum accounts.

You can always wait until the incentive is paid and then downgrade back to a normal account via their app or online banking (it’s what I did when their sister brand, Halifax, ran a similar offer on their packaged account last year).

I did a switch in 2020, does that invalidate me haha

As for Coop - perhaps they don’t like my other accounts? (Rev & Dozens)

1 Like

Yes, you can’t have switched since 2019! Never mind.

They could well be suspicious of fintechs, as many traditional banks are?

1 Like

Yup maybe - perhaps I should have paid what I wanted to with my Coop card and played by the rules!

1 Like

Technically, there were no rules to abide by once you have received your switch money, so they can hardly force you to use the Co-op card.

I know you only meant that in jest, but it’s a serious point!

1 Like

The more I think on this it’s really irking me!

I switch to you and you freeze my money :joy:

1 Like

Yes, not a good first impression at all!

1 Like

Called up - played a bit more dumb and it was sorted. Advisor more helpful.

It seems they prefer to do it on day 2? All very odd.

1 Like

Maybe, as it would be less likely that you were being scammed if it’s some time later.

Anyway, I’m pleased to hear it’s all sorted now!

1 Like