General thread about Monzo :)

It might for the devoted, but I doubt Anne and Co will lose sleep. In their heads, they’ve probably moved on from all this malarkey. :smirk:

Anyway……

1 Like

https://twitter.com/starlingbank/status/1522543151155748866?s=21&t=ZNsDvO3mINs8mcPh09iSFg

1 Like

AltFi wrote an article about it:

It’s difficult to see how Starling got their gong when compared to those that Monzo got. Or vice versa.

All in the criteria I guess……:thinking:

Can see they’ve already re-jigged their home page:

@Rob Believe this is for legal reasons. It’s dubious to call yourself “Britain’s Best Bank*” and no longer have an unbiased award to point at proving it.

I imagined the engineers opened an incident and had to quickly change things so as not to upset regulators or the legal department :sweat_smile:

These awards are ridiculous. I mainly associate them with a bunch of spammy ‘vote for me’ emails in early Spring from whichever fintechs I happen to have accounts with. I wish they didn’t exist, or at least get rid of the public vote element.

6 Likes

They would likely have been informed ahead of time and prepared the changes in advance.

I worked for a university which dropped just outside the ‘top 100 worldwide’ position they promoted themselves with, and we had a load of changes which had to go live to represent that at a certain agreed point in time.

I wonder if over on the other place they’ll still be considering these awards pointless and irrelevant
(As many of them did when it was Starling winning everything)

:thinking:

2 Likes

A total of 8 posts in celebration on that particular thread. Clearly not important.

Edit: I’m wrong - the action is in another general thread.

Interesting that there are banks you’ve never heard of winning awards. (Good for them, though).

2 Likes

Nono, they were always dubious about this award, but now of course it makes perfect sense and is the best award since sliced bread

:roll_eyes::joy:

2 Likes

Interesting that there are banks you’ve never heard of winning awards. (Good for them, though).

Here’s some unwanted commentary on some of the breakouts this year. I’ve heard of every bank on the list :slight_smile:

HyperJar is the big one, been following them for a while. Incredibly innovative use of pots + their card. I’ve seen people recreate YNAB in Monzo with pots, HypeJar takes this one step further

Tridos is also nice to see, I hope to see Tred win the ethical award next year. I really like how they estimate how much carbon you’ve emitted through transactions.

I actually built something on Ethereum which estimates how much carbon you’ve released and asks you to offset it, like a monthly donation but based entirely around your transactions as a person. (It’s a lot easier in blockchain land because you can estimate how much carbon is released based on how large your transaction was in the block which was mined and the average energy spent to mine that block at that time).

Ziglu is a bit cringe. They pay for university student meme pages to advertise their product (promising "put your money into stablecoins and farm it to get 8% interest). What’s most cringe is that none of the meme pages have said it’s an advert… so someone is breaking the law here :grimacing:

Sadness

These are things I wish had won awards but didn’t :pray:

• Wise, for their assets feature. Something I have wanted for a long time
  • Any crypto card, such as https://crypto.com/. It’s always good fun to see their offerings, and sometimes they are innovative (such as cashback, staking, whatever)

Anyway, that was my unwanted opinion on the awards. Should probably have been its own thread but too late now :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

You can pay from Jars & spend from a joint jar am I right?

Kids card I’ve seen around once or twice too.

Are they catching on? We’re quite small when I used to use them.

I use HyperJar with my kids.

It’s brilliant, and FREE!

Yeah - I’ve seen quite a lot of people paying for GoHenry at work. I always tell them Hyperjar or Revolut Junior to save a few.

They’re not just a kids card too! Also do joint accounts. Instead of accounts I believe it’s just pots. No accounts! :joy:

This is what I remember - as well as “pay now by later” with some merchants. One used to be Lidl but that stopped.

Who’s still using Monzo?

2 Likes

Not me. Paywalling UI & pushing buy now pay later doesn’t constitute improvements in my book. I find I can do far more, for free, with Revolut with things developing at a far quicker pace.

Most people I know just consider it a spending card or a bill splitting app.

6 Likes

It’s a few months later and I’ve still not closed my account yet. I’m planning to CASS to Barclays. Does anyone know of a reason why I should go somewhere else?