Monese Current Account

I read something about 3pm CET - which I’d have exceeded. So I’ll expect it on Thursday morning :sweat_smile:

What puzzles me, though, is if you’ve missed the 3pm deadline - surely it’d make sense for you to revert to the equivalent of having sent it before 11am the next day?

It seems odd that sending it at 4pm today would result in it arriving later than sending it at 10am tomo!

(To give context Monese say it’s same day if you send before 11am CET)

@Gaoler do you have any experience here?

Yes, just lined up my last few Starling to Monese EUR transfers. It gets confusing quite quickly, but here they are… Times are GMT

Sent: 2 August 11:34
Received: 2 August 17:06

Sent: 28 July 10:35
Received: 3 August 16:34
(weekends throw the whole thing wide open, but possibly also AML checks etc?? )

Sent: 27 July 16:35
Received: 28 July 16:19

Sent: 26 July 17.24
Received: 28 July 16:19

All these were below EUR 2k. Above 2k, I’ve had the money just turn up back in my Starling account at the time I’d expect it to land with Monese

Short answer is - give it 48 hours, working days

Edit: I think it’s because 5pm GMT is effectively the next working day as far as Monese is concerned

1 Like

Opened a joint account to test it out - how odd - no option to set up a standing order when it’s standard on the single account?

They replied - they do not offer the standing order feature on a joint account?

Seems like a gaping oversight?

Very strange. It seems no one can really be bothered to do joint accounts properly!

1 Like

Another oddity - my joint card has arrived and despite my standing order gripe I must admit - it’s stunning.

However - you add it to Apple Pay and it displays the old green personal GBP debit card not the pink joint one!

A friend of mine has spent the qualifying £500.00 to trigger the second part of the refer & earn bonus. He got the money, I did not & the payment times are always the same. I’m entitled to it as per the T&C so raised the concern on Saturday.

First of all I’m given the same C&P as the Bot - then told the card payment must clear (it will have done as my friend got the payout), then on my insistence I’m told it will go to a team and the chat must be closed . I’m told I’ll get an email shortly, Twitter support reply saying it’s been “resolved”, it hasn’t. I open another chat and I’m told they don’t understand my query, nor can they see my earlier chat. I replied on Sunday evening and have yet to receive a response.

When I raised the concern of Amex integration not working - they simply closed the chat in the end and have not responded to my attempts to resume it. The originally told me the “Team” would get a reply in 24h hours which they would relay to me…

Their customer service is without doubt absolutely appalling, it’s a shame as the app/tech is pretty nice but there is no human intervention beyond it. I wouldn’t trust them with more than three figures or any payments of remote complexity. People bemoan Revolut’s CS but Monese’s makes it look best in class - both in speed & quality - at least they have the resource to communicate with you.

1 Like

My account has been locked for some reason - they are “checking” my “details” apparently. Only found out by opening the app. Stuck on that for about a week.

I wonder if getting funding from HSBC has infected them with the HSBC malaise :joy:

Well - last night I was trying to transfer some money away from Monese and the SMS was not received on usual signal and wifi calling. Had to get it out via a Revolut Apple Pay top up.

Still awaiting the response to my complaint. The account will be mothballed and or closed shortly.

So regard Invite and Earn.

My friend got £20 originally & not me. Then I complained. Then we both got an extra £20…

In their complaint response they said that part hasn’t been upheld as the £20 was paid at the right time - so how did he get his £20? He hasn’t referred anyone…

They have offered £25 due to the poor service on top - this will take a few days to be applied…

This morning I sent a small transfer to pay a friend - went pending then failed. Second effort is now stuck on pending!

Perhaps I’ve been flagged for a check - I’m very intrigued to see how long that takes.

Promptly removed all funds from personal account to Revolut via Apple Pay - £7 left on the joint which I can spend it needs be. Very odd - hardly adding to the experience…

@Gaoler account still locked?

Unlocked, but without notice. No idea what they’re playing at. Communication from monese has always been abysmal.

Watch out converting Euro/GBP. I’ve had a couple stuck on pending for half a day or so. Probably they’re trying to manage turbulent market…

1 Like

Pot transfer and external transfer stuck for hours on end the other day - third party processor problems

Got £25 compo for earlier issue with refer and earn - upheld due to service not the scheme as I got the money later on…but my friend got it twice???

Raised another comp about payment issue - they confirmed prospective compo could be paid elsewhere if I closed the account - so I’m gone…

A bit of a failed experiment in the end!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s just too much of a headache. A lot of potential, but a sort of bunq-like mindset when it comes to customer service. They’ve snuck away the fee-free conversion between your accounts in a submenu now too, which suggests they’re under strain. If they just bloody integrated all the extras in the app instead of embedded or external websites, I’d be happier. :joy:

I don’t think Monese are going anywhere soon.

They recently raised $35m from HSBC who have taken a stake in the business.

True but I think they’re going to go down the B2B route - they have quite a small base of retail customers and don’t seem to be on top of the CS.

Their main revenue drivers are paid for subs which I understand they have quite a high take up rate over a small expat centric demographic, as well as transaction fees and a few “credit builder” style products.

I agree. I was thinking more about the direction of the business. They’ve gradually pared back the free and paid allowances and seem to be focused on selling secondary products over developing their core features. Nothing wrong with that approach and may well be sensible in the current environment, just not what I’d like to see

I didn’t know that - I assume at some point HSBC will take the rest over and subsume it into their own offer