Nationwide accounts

Exactly, which is why I think (as I said at the time on the Monzo Community) that the data protection reasoning used by Monzo was an overzealous application of the principle of data minimisation.

Also, the bank would know the account details used, even if they don’t show them to the user. They could show the bank logo, derived from the sort code, and I don’t think that would be a huge invasion of the sender’s privacy. But then again, clearly my interpretation of the rules isn’t one that Monzo, or others, might agree with.

1 Like

It’s a shame the person sending the funds can’t opt in or out of sharing the info!

2 Likes

It should be like Confirmation of Payee; a default to sharing the data and the option to opt-out!

3 Likes

They never did with Nationwide, except when it’s an incoming payment from another Nationwide account, in which case the bank details are all you get.

In fact, I don’t know of any mainstream bank, apart from the Nationwide example above, where you can the bank details for an incoming payment.

Starling used to show them for all incoming payments, but now they only do it for incoming payments from one of your saved payees.

2 Likes

Starling made the same decision at Monzo at around the same time; they removed the data and cited data protection when asked about (if I’m remembering correctly).

Such a shame, I used to really like that feature of Monzo and Starling! I agree that it would make sense for it to be an opt out kind of thing.

1 Like

I really like their device support. Apple Watch, iPad, Android Wear, Android tablet and obviously phones.

Very nerdy of me too but they respect device orientation and not many banking apps do.

1 Like

True. I wish NatWest hadn’t’ve ditched their Apple Watch app - I never had a chance to use it and from the photos that remain of it, it looks pretty impressive, especially for an old dinosaur bank. Credit to Nationwide for keeping theirs running.

1 Like

It seems very patchy with how it populates the transaction details. For example, I bought something from Wex Photo Video recently. That transaction has the map of their location, address, website, phone number, date and transaction amount. With Steam and Amazon, it’s just their URL, date and amount, although Steam’s icon is populated.

1 Like
1 Like

Interesting, however, I have no donor accounts to sacrifice atm.

Or do I use a Virgin Money one? After all, £125 is quicker than up to £1.70pm in their 2% current account :thinking:

2 Likes

I’d have to axe a genuine bills account. I don’t think I’d set up two direct debits for the sake of it elsewhere

It’s an RBS account, not sure if I’d miss out on loads bar the cheque imaging if I did make the move?

Sign up for a monzo account (if you don’t have one - otherwise a starling) and switch that to nationwide?

Will still have to set up two direct debits

The issue with Nationwide is that their app is very poor when you compare to other banks and their online banking looks like a web page from the 90s.

1 Like

The downside there is you’d be by pretty much burning your boats with both banks at least for the short term. They take a dim view of CASSing away from them.

Unless you’ve got a dead + rubbish account lying around, I doubt it’s worth it for £125….

And this:

1 Like

I know Starling do have a 12 month policy for those who switch/close before they can open a new account. Do Monzo have a similar policy now?

1 Like

Monzo’s policy seems to be less clear and a tad arbitrary at times, it seems.

1 Like

Don’t think monzo really do. Also: with monzo I don’t care if they do :man_shrugging: (starling I can’t switch away from unfortunately as I use their euro account)

I’m afraid I must have transgressed in some other way then :thinking: