Royal Bank of Scotland accounts

Yes. Paper statements all looks like that. They used to provide binders for them

4 Likes

How legacy of them. I can hear the whirr of printers and the rustling of papers as they’re torn off to be posted to customers.

Wow, that takes me back. I had one of those statement binders about 35 years ago. I think most banks used to provide them, along with cheque book covers and little plastic wallets to keep your bank cards in.
First Direct used to send new customers a real leather, not plastic, cheque book cover and card wallet. I never got a statement folder from them though.

1 Like

Need to find one of these somewhere

Tried ordering some old Coutts leather cheque book covers off eBay. Got them for a good price, but they arrived manky and I had to bin them. Fortunately I managed to get a refund, but it’s put me off trying for now. It’s very difficult to effectively clean and sanitise leather goods, and I feel like a cheque book cover has the potential to be pretty grubby.

I don’t really get the point of them.

Maybe when people used to pay with cheques in shops fairly often, necessitating carrying around a chequebook on a daily basis in a handbag or briefcase, they may have been useful as a way of ensuring that your chequebook didn’t quickly get tatty.

Now that chequebooks are generally kept at the bottom of a drawer or in a filing cabinet, and rarely see the light if day, they don’t make as much sense.

I don’t really think there’s much point to them either - unless you still carry a chequebook around day-to-day with you for some reason. But tbh there isn’t much point in me even owning a chequebook either nowadays, but I do just because I’m weird and into banking stuff like that :joy:

2 Likes

One might argue there’s little point in going to all the trouble of convincing RBS that you’re entitled to a bank account with Child & Co., but that didn’t stop us……:blush:

3 Likes

22 posts were split to a new topic: Nostalgia, or “Do you remember when…?”

Thank you, the chequebook has arrived and it looks stunning. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You can even find Child&co leather cheque book covers on ebay occasionally. I’ve just ordered a matching one for the (already stunning) cheque book they sent, fingers crossed it arrives in nice condition.

5 Likes

Not that I’m judging, but

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Apart from the logo, that’s the same as my First Direct cheque book cover.

1 Like

Covers always go over the top

2 Likes

1 Like

Probably… but it is still nice though. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You spent £60 on a chequebook cover? I was looking at it too :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Nope, best offer price was accepted. :wink:

My test check is being processed!

Didn’t receive any kind of notification. Also doesn’t include any details related to the account or bank that the check was paid into which is a bit concerning! Is that normal behaviour or is this stuff that shows up once it’s processed?

Never paid with a cheque so I wouldn’t know… would banks look at me silly if I wrote myself a cheque and cheque imaged it into another account – then did it the other way around to compare?