Savings Accounts

If any of your still use Marcus (why?!), it has increased their bonus rate to 0.49% from 0.34%, so you can go and renew the bonus…

Who do you suggest instead?

I hold nine easy access savings accounts above Marcus’ 4.75% AER (4.65% gross) rate.

Not all are still available though tbf, and some require current accounts with the provider to access them.

There are higher paying accounts but if you prefer the security of a big name then:

Cahoot @ 5.12% (part of Santander)

Ulster @ 5.2% (part of NatWest) for balances over £5k

1 Like

Not too bothered by a big name. Just whatever is highest, FSCS protected, but can be withdrawn from just as fast, if not faster, than Marcus, or any of the instant access savers which exist these days. I’ll take the best rate I can get without compromising the instant access part (though Marcus is a couple of minutes in reality).

I’ll check those ones out though, thank you.

1 Like

I’m in a similar frame of mind, as long as the FSCS protection is there, then I’ll take the instant access element over locking in for a specific period, any day. I admit, I haven’t always felt comfortable holding funds with financial institutions I’ve not been familiar with, but I guess that’s where the helpfulness of forums like this come in.

1 Like

Gatehouse Bank have increased the Expected Profit Rate on their Easy Access account to 5.23% AER, for those customers on Annual Interest.

I believe the monthly interest rate has gone to 5.11% Gross

My Gatehouse account, however, will remain with just the £1 in as cba to move funds from my current highest easy access account for the sake of an 0.03% uplift.

I like it.

Ralph Lauren - KBE
Eddie Redmayne - OBE
Benedict Cumberbatch - CBE
Breezy - CBA :joy:

1 Like

Easy Access savings rate on the decline, by look of it.

Ford Money and Gatehouse Bank are latest two to announce drop in interest rate and expected profit rate respectively, come 18 Jan 2024.

Greetings all, looking to park away cash from my current account too an instant access cash ISA.

Been looking at Chip anyone have problems with them? Any other idea would be much appreciated.

1 Like

Hi. I’ve never taken to Chip - it seems unnecessarily fussy to me.

Currently, Zopa has a good offering over 5%. I’ve just transferred an existing ISA into them.

Paragon are easy to work with too.

Another :+1: for Zopa Cash ISA at 5.08% AER variable (4.96% gross monthly)

In process of transferring ISA in from other provider.

This year’s subscriptions are appearing within 5 minutes of Faster Payment atm, often even quicker than that. Big difference to when I used Zopa ten months ago.

1 Like

I have a Chip account - no hassles so far. Plum as well, though I don’t want to pay extra for a Debit Card

I’ve been using Chip for over a year without any problems and have opened their flexible cash ISA recently.

1 Like

Zopa let’s you split the savings up into separate pots which is handy. They’re all within the same ISA and it’s a flexible one too.

1 Like

I hadn’t looked at them for a number of years and a quick peruse just now suggests they’ve moved forward substantially. The rate is good too, I see :blush:.

These could be a candidate for a transfer in. I see, though, that they’ve not yet implemented txfers in.

I’ll join the waitlist.

Every day’s a school day :+1:t3:

1 Like

Good rate, but I’ve just noticed their rate for txfers in is substantially lower. Odd.

I’m not fan of the small print with some of these providers, qualifying money market funds being used etc. If I wanted that I wouldn’t be using a cash ISA.

This is not so much Zopa, more the ones which aren’t actually banks like Chip and Plum.

Chip just put your money in ClearBank. In fact, the sort code and account number for my Chip ISA are ClearBank.

1 Like

That’s fair, perhaps it’s just Plum who have the QMMF in the terms. Still, due to this caveat I’d only keep a chunk of my life savings with Chip.

“you’d get your money back (though it may take longer than if you had a direct relationship with the bank).”

FSCS rules are slightly different for direct deposits with a bank or BS (the turnaround times are guaranteed for this). I am in a similar boat with my Revolut vault which is essentially a Flagstone account (I just have a small chunk of my savings here for instant instant access but I wouldn’t keep them all there for the same reason, amongst others of course).

Whilst you’d get the money back, I think minutes would feel like hours in this sort of situation!

The other area people could mess it up is where the bank behind it is also used by another similar non bank and you inadvertently exceed the FSCS limits. I understand Raisin also use clear bank - but this is more of an issue for minted folk! Same with Moneybox who have HSBC or the like behind their operation.

1 Like