Starling - general thread

They’ll hang us in the Louvre someday too!

Are they predicting the public’s reaction to further pointless updates?

Although I must admit I find them quite amusing so generally enjoy them

3 Likes

Is there anywhere I can see how much cash I’ve paid in, in this cycle of the £1000 before charges stuff

Surely it’s as simple as just trawling through your activity feed? Are you paying money into Starling that regularly?

And do actual math! :joy: I thought technology had moved humans beyond their reliance on math skills!

Sure, you could do this, but you can expect better.

I really like how Monzo breaks this stuff down in the app. By showing you clearly how much is left of your limits for various things. Wish every bank did that.

I did have a look but can’t remember where the app keeps a list of your limits and can’t find them again! Need to play with the app more! Let me know if you find out though, because I’d like to know this too.

In other news, first time opening the app in a while, and remembered my spaces!

All because someone from Starling said there was no limit on the number of spaces you can have! :joy:

Got 2/3 (100 spaces) of the way through the Kanto Pokédex before they cut me off.

I think they should compact the spaces, make them square and put 2 on each row. So much wasted space on the right side of the screen.

5 Likes

I don’t even know when the policy came into force exactly to be able to say the exact date lol

It sounds very much to me, that Starling probably isn’t the bank for you :rofl: Perhaps Monzo would fit you better, after all, apparently their budgeting tools remove any need for human thought if I believe @N26throwaway :joy:

May I ask, are you able to tell the time from an analogue watch? :joy: because apparently many humans born in the last 2 decades can’t :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Yes, because I have all the required information on hand

I don’t A) want to scroll through all my transactions to find cash pay ins and B) don’t know the exact date they started counting from to know how much cash I’ve paid in since

I’ll one up you though, I own a pocket watch too :’)

1 Like

:joy::joy: I can! Really baffles me when you come across people that can’t! A generational thing perhaps!

Nah, still too much friction for my liking! Not enough of the need for human interaction has been removed!

It’s just laziness on my part and lusting for intelligent automation to make my life easier and save me time. Math was always my favourite subject in school and is what I was best at. Still enjoy it now, and budget separately from my banking apps. I don’t need my banking app to make have to go through it again with more limited tools. If they’re gonna do that they should do it for me automatically. Like Simple used to do, and DASBudget does now. Huge fan of that approach. I hate the hands on friction of it all with Monzo.

I’m picturing a young Jacob Rees-Mogg :smiling_face:

You’re better off downloading a csv statement and filtering that

Sounds like time to contact CS, though I think it’s a rolling year (edit: looks like a calendar year. Csv is still the simplest way to check)

Just call me Sherlock…

Sherlock.

1 Like

2 Likes

See, I’m a bit puzzled here. These folks know what the banks SOP’s are, they published them for all to see quite some time back, and yet, customers still moan :roll_eyes: Instead of moaning, why don’t they just find another bank that suits their needs? No one asked them to open an account with the bank, it was done through choice. It’s a bit bloody rich criticising the bank for a policy that one knew was in place when they signed up. Starling clearly have costs to cover, but as always, some bugger always wants it for free.

If I were that Starling customer rep responding, I’d be more than happy to say, ‘If you don’t like it, move on!’

For my own part, I’ve not deposited a single penny in physical cash into Starling since I became a customer in 2018, just never needed to. Every deposit is electronic purely because I refuse to accept physical cash payments for anything. If someone keeps getting cash that they need to stick away in a Starling account, either suck it up pay any fees and stop complaining, or find a more suitable High Street alternative where you can just pop in and dump your wedge over the counter.

7 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Where are people getting all this cash from? I’ve deposited cash into Starling once only, and that was right at the beginning of the first lockdown when most places stopped accepting cash. I had about £20 in notes, so I paid it in at the post office, knowing that I wouldn’t need cash again.

If anyone was frequently dealing with large amounts of cash, I’d think they must be a drug dealer. Sure, some businesses still take cash, but in that case they should have a business account, for which there have always been charges.

2 Likes

I know someone who fell foul of this last year. He’d been using a personal account for depositing proceeds from his business purely to avoid paying for a business bank account. The bank, who I won’t name, shut him down and closed his accounts. He’s a perfectly legit businessman, he was just trying his luck, which to be fair, lasted for years apparently. He’s all sorted now and quite rightly paying for a business bank account.

As far as Starling Bank are concerned, I’m finding it more and more difficult to justify holding an account with them purely on the basis that for me, they just can’t compete at the moment with Chase from an interest/savings perspective. If Chase were in the CASS scheme now, I’d probably just let Starling go, not even cheque imaging or their smarter app would stop me from leaving. Let’s see how things pan out.

1 Like

All that :point_up_2:t4: :blush:

I think most banks would do that. If you’re lucky, they might warn you first, but often they’d just close your account and leave you to sort things out afterwards.

1 Like

My father gave me some money towards my suit, he gets paid in cash. It’s because we own a kebab shop and don’t want to spend money banking it and it’s a liability to keep in-store overnight etc. so he can bank it personally

Also, my mother had some money she needed in her account to pay bills so I transferred to her and she gave me cash in exchange

Generally, I rarely need cash but whenever I do, it’s quite large amounts I handle. (200+)

Also, it seems that people are preferring Chase to Starling recently, it’s understandable but I have to ask: isn’t canning Starling for Chase a bit early?

Chase are still burning heavy losses to gain customers, it’s why they’re doing so well competing right now. Not sure if it’ll last.

Granted, I guess it’s better than Starling who has never really done that even.

It depends on how tied up you are to Starling I guess. I couldn’t generally give a %*@t about banks and I certainly don’t do that loyalty thing. Starling are at the moment imo, a bit like that biscuit you leave out overnight, gone a bit stale with nothing much going on at the moment. But then that’s the general case with most banks isn’t it? I’m sure Chase will be the same within a couple of years.

As you can imagine, I’m just holding my head in my hands at that :laughing: It’s 2022 for cripes sake, get a bloody business account and stop moaning. So it costs, so what? put the price of your kebabs up to cover the cost, I’m sure a couple of pence on each doner isn’t going to cause that many issues, everyone likes a kebab don’t they?

2 Likes