Arrowroot ?
Royal Scot ?
Lemon Puffs?
Those pink puffy things?
Abbey Crunch?
Lincoln?

Yes, they do.

1 Like

Custard creams, they are absolutely cack after being left out on the side for 15 hours, especially if the cat has had a lick at it as well.

How can you tell?

1 Like

Well our cat leaves tell tale saliva trails and the odd hairball from where she’s had a cough on it. Mind you, all adds to the flavour I suppose

I see.

I’ve no response to that - it’s too good. :relieved:

I mean those who want to pay by cash/only use cash, we pay that out in wages to avoid paying in time (going to the bank/post office) & the fees associated. we already have a business bank account

we do take card and just for clarity, cash is not our preferred option (unless you’re calling over the phone maybe, it’s annoying to take card over it).

agree with you entirely, the only thing i fret about is that i like to keep my options open so for 12 month waiting period, i prefer not to switch

i also have to call up the NHS people and swap over my prepayment certificate

I get it, I really do, but I’d be horrified if anyone ever now in my life tried to pay me off in cash. When I first started work back in 84, my first boss used to pay me in cash and initially, it was good fun, being paid £50 for a weeks work all in one pound notes, I felt like the Bank of England with a cheap wallet stuffed full of green. But then I went to work for the Government for the next 30 years of my life and discovered being paid by BACS was far more convenient.

As for Starling, I’m now seriously considering stopping my pension going into the account and sending it into Chase instead, where at least I can divert it straight into the savings element and earn a little bit of interest on it.

1 Like

idk, you’re British. staff at the store isn’t, they like physical cash. same with my father, it’s a cultural thing

was it one of those velcro wallets from sports direct? :joy:

bring them back, i say

Absolutely NOT! Indeed we should be doing everything we can to get rid of the filthy stinking paper/polymer stuff and as for coins, melt the lot down and do something decent with it. I’d be happy if it all disappeared tomorrow if I’m brutally honest.

2 Likes

I paid cash into my account today, and manually added up all my “Post Office Banking” transactions this year. As they’ve started charging a fee for deposits above £1,000 each calendar year, they really should display your running total in-app. They pride themselves about being transparent and fair with any fees that may apply, but it’s not very transparent if you don’t know when you might be hit with a fee for depositing cash!

9 Likes

But why should they? They’ communicated a message to their account holders that this is their policy from March 2022. They clearly know that the vast majority of their customers never pay in more than £1k plus per annum through the Post Office. They are transparent about it. It really shouldn’t be up to the bank to remind you of just how much money you’re funneling into your account via the Post Office and when you might hit their publicised fee barrier. You clearly know this, but with the greatest of respect, it’s your responsibility to keep tabs on what you’re paying in. God forbid that the bank should make any fees because customers ultimately don’t want to keep a running tab on what they’re depositing.

Sounds like I’m having a go at you, I’m not, I’m merely drawing attention to the fact that it’s you who chooses to deposit cash via the Post Office into your Starling account but you clearly want the bank to take responsibility for keeping a running total. My thought on that is ‘Why should they?’ It’s not their responsibility, it’s yours.

Generally, opening up a bank account with a particular bank, for the vast majority, is a choice. If the bank introduces a policy later on which you don’t like or don’t feel at ease with, move on, there’s no point whinging. It seems an awful lof people these days have multiple accounts and probably the vast majority of banking customers still use HIgh Street banks. I think you’ve stated on more than one occasion that you have a Nationwide account, purely for the insurances? Why not just pay your cash into the Nationwide and then transfer electronically it into your Starling account? Surely, if you have to find a Post Office to pay into, then finding a branch of Nationwide can’t be too difficult?

2 Likes

Rather than “Why should they, it’s up to you”, I think it would be a rather nice embellishment if they did. R-

1 Like

Yes, but that just once again, comes down to 21st century backside wiping doesn’t it? That’s the trouble with society today, there just seems to be this attitude of let someone else do the hard work and not take some personal responsibility.

I’m sure however, if enough Starling customers send messages into them via app, they’ll take a look at it, but I wouldn’t hold one’s breath.

1 Like

Are you sure?

Approximate Number of Nationwide branches: 700
Approximate Number of Post Offices: 11,415

1 Like

Ok, you win, you can’t beat the number of Post Office branches against Nationwide, I admit defeat there :laughing:

My point still stands though, let’s stop bank blaming for policies they have in place because it suits their business model. Starling have to keep their costs in check, so let’s perhaps just accept that?

As I said before, no one has to be a customer of that particular bank, if one doesn’t like their direction of travel, move on. I doubt they’ll be too worried. Clearly if paying in large amounts of cash on a frequent basis is what some customers need, I’d argue they should find an alternative. Sorry for that rather simplistic attitude.

1 Like

I disagree. Some folk are astute some are not. R-

2 Likes

Not related to post office deposits but the Starling Android app supports face unlock on the Pixel 4 finally.

Why do they send me a notification when my balance drops below zero? Why do they let me know if a Direct Debit payment tomorrow will send me overdrawn? Why do they have the Spending screen at all? I think it’s because they try to give customers the information they need to help them with their finances. By your rationale, why have instant notifications at all? You know where you’ve spent money, it up to you to keep track of that.

No whinging from me. When I opened my Starling account, there was no facility to deposit cash at the Post Office. They then introduced the feature, with zero fees and limits. They have changed the policy and introduced fees - why wouldn’t I expect them to make it as easy as possible to see when those fees may apply? I’m more than capable of adding a few transactions up, but it would be trivial for them to add a running total. A nice feature for very little effort.

As has been pointed out, not really a valid argument. There’s a Post Office at the end of my street, and another a few minutes from where I work. The nearest Nationwide branch would require going into a city centre and paying for parking.

2 Likes

Because they’re billing me for it?

Transparent enough, to not show how much you’ve deposited in this calendar year?

I can assure you if Lloyd’s started charging for cash deposits and didn’t help you keep track of it, Parliament would be debating it tomorrow

Why should we? It’s actually a number they’re actively keeping track of :thinking:

1 Like

Are they? Are you actually sitting there telling us that you have already deposited more than £1k via the Post Office since they implemented this?

Well of course clearly you want the bank to keep a running total for you because you don’t want to be bothered to do it yourself?

I’m sorry, I just don’t believe that and I honestly don’t believe that you believe that either, totally non sensical argument.

But like it or not, you are moaning about it, publicly at that. Take it to Starling and moan about it there.

I get it you’re both, or both of you certainly come across as being peeved about Starling’s fee policy and the incovenience it may/may not be causing. So vote with your feet and bank elsewhere. Yes, very easy for me to say, I have no issue dumping banks, I’m not bothered about it one iota, I’m no Starling fan boy, they’re just a bank at the end of the day.

I do respect both of your opinions by the way, I just think you want everything as easy as you like it on a plate. As I say, funnel your dismay at Starling or move on and find a bank that will meet your needs.