Starling - general thread

I could have done, but no; I haven’t. It wasn’t even close, actually. But I wasn’t sure, as I don’t really have the need to keep track since I’m living well within my means.

I believe Which has campaigned and successfully had debated far stupider things (i.e. the entire “save cash” debate)

I am actually not opposed to the 1k free deposits with a tariff on further, I think it fulfils the need of the common man who gets a tenner from his mate every now and then.

I do think that if there’s a limit/tariff, it should be displayed within the app including how far you are to getting to it, though.

e.g. Curve shows you all your limits in app and how far you are to crossing them.

I may swap banks soon though, just waiting to see if Chase come out with further things in the near future. If all that’s here is 1.5% instant saver and an end to the 1% cashback, I don’t see the point until they have a dark theme at least

Let’s see how long ‘Which’ last when people really do start cancelling all those subscriptions :rofl:

Well thank you for at least clearing that up and being honest about it. At least you will now more than likely take note of exactly what you’re depositing with Starling purely to avoid the fees.

Oh please define ‘the common man’ :laughing: I can’t wait to get into that social definition.

Ok, so I’ve just focussed on a tiny part of your sentence but I’m literally urinating myself with laughter at that :rofl: I too would love dark theme in Chase but it isn’t exactly a deal breaker.

Starling I think it is fair to say, have hit rock bottom boredom in terms of everyday banking. It’s just another account at the end of the day. Yes, super quick notifications, a decent cheque imaging facility for the masses of cheques one submits, a really great debit card as far as travel is concerned, but otherwise, a now totally run of the mill fintech bank.

2 Likes

This is a forum about fintech, and this particular thread is about Starling Bank. I think I’ve mentioned cash deposit fees twice before now, around the time they were introduced. My suggestion that they show a running total of cash deposits in-app can hardly be considered a whinge. I think your reaction is a bit OTT. This is meant to be a discussion.

literally? :flushed:

3 Likes

Absolutely! The trouble is, you have turned it into a whinge on account of the fact you’re not happy that Starling aren’t providing you with the tools to keep tabs on your deposits. That’s not really a discussion point because there’s nothing you nor I can do about it, that’s a Starling policy issue. Hence my point, tell Starling in app you want them to give you the necessary tools to keep track of your deposits. I believe they have amazing Customer Service from what I’ve read.

I’m not sure hold old you are but I’m 54 and I’ve noticed my bladder isn’t as strong as it once was, especially when I laugh.

As I say, I bear no ill will, but perhaps it really is time now Starling have introduced the policy regarding fees on deposits of over £1k in any calender year, to look at other options.

1 Like

I’m not sure where you get the idea I’m desperate for the feature, or that I deposit huge amounts of cash. I’m not and I don’t.

As a matter of principle, I don’t agree with banks charging customers to deposit money into their own accounts. They make huge profits on the back of those deposits. There will be people that are affected by these charges, and providing more information in-app to help people manage this better seems a perfectly reasonable expectation.

I couldn’t agree more. The problem is, as you’re clearly aware, Starling don’t have over counter banking facilites. How else are they supposed to cover their costs as far as the few customers that have a need to deposit physical cash? Someone has to pay somewhere I’m sure we agree.

They’re a bank, they’re allowed to make profits I’m sure you’ll agree, possibly distasteful to many that a bank should be allowed to make a profit, but they’re not charities.

I see no argument there, but just how far does a bank have to go to babysit customers? It’s the age old argument with banking though isn’t it? If the bank doesn’t explain everything in absolute minute detail, they’re in the wrong. I wonder just how many people who sign up for a bank account, actually bother to read the T’s & C’s before they commit? very few I suspect. And that goes across the board, everything from car/home insurance policies to travel insurance etc, people just don’t read stuff because it’s too much effort.

I genuinely hope that depositing cash or any limits involve, doesn’t impact you or anyone else with a Starling account. It doesn’t affect me personally, so I’m not at all bothered by it. I’m prepared if I have to, to go into my local large town, pay for parking if necessary, and dump cash over the counter at Nationwide. A ballache yes, but if that is what it takes, that’s what I’ll do.

As for the Post Office, I just don’t use them for anything other than sending off passports and driving licences. I certainly wouldn’t go into one to deposit cash into my Starling account despite the fact my nearest is just a 1/4 mile walk from my house, but that is purely personal choice, probably an irrational stupid choice, but my choice.

Just sent them a message, took a second.

I’m sure a lot easier than those banks maintaining full-on branches?

Enough to make sure they’re A) buying a product relevant to them and B) making sure fees are easily understood when incurred and give us a warning to avoid them (as they do with “money not in account” notifications)

2 Likes

Oh come on! Yes, it takes a second, it’s how quickly and efficiently they deal with it that counts. Have they sorted your issue out since you sent the message? If not, have they given you a timescale? I haven’t personally sent a message to Starling CS for ages, so I can’t comment on what they’re like recently to be fair. As a matter of interest, do you make a frequent point of contacting Starling CS?

Because of course Recchan, you run a bank don’t you? so you know exactly what’s involved. I’m just trying to keep balance here, I don’t run a bank, I have no idea about the costs involved to Starling with regards to dealing with customer deposits and I’m pretty sure you don’t either.

Don’t they produce enough literature about their fees on their website? Or am I being completely unreasonable by expecting that a customer should bother themselves to read them?

Haven’t contacted them since requesting them to mark me down as Lord. They did not. Might have to leave over that small detail, actually; since everywhere else I am Lord now.

Yes, aren’t you aware?

No, of course not; but I think we all know it’s a lot cheaper to use the Post Office’s already used locations to offer banking services, vs staffing, branding etc your own branch

There are some pretty compelling reasons to believe this:

• Multiple banks are paying them
  • You don’t need to pay your own staff
  • The Post Office sell other services, so this is extra dough, not main revenue
  • You don’t need to handle security of cash etc, the Post Office will

Like, I get you were making a sarcasm (said deliberately) but it isn’t hard to extrapolate things from available information.

They provide standardised offering sheets, yes. I think it’s enough, I just think about their mission statement.

They were meant to bring banking to the future, including throwing out all the stuff that gave banking a bad reputation here. This means very transparent charging, in practice.

Oh yes, I’d forgotten you’d elevated yourself to Lord :man_facepalming: My bad, and I’m sorry for not treating you with more reverence :expressionless:

Yeah, you keep believing that. I stopped believing in all that horse poo quite some time ago.

An interesting read! My two main accounts can’t receive cash. I have a husk Coop account which I can pay cash into.

I tend to make it clear whether selling items on Fb marketplace or being paid back by a friend - that I’d rather wait than have cash - so hopefully over time it’s eradicated altogether and I can go online account only.

Top up by debit card via Revolut has also phased out cash being received from elderly relatives.

To be fair, it could be as far as cash is concerned, I’m still very much in the minority, I just don’t use cash because it genuinely disgusts me from a hygeine perspective, it’s hideous to handle, horrible to keep on my person and equally as awful to keep in the house, that is why there is no cash either in my wallet or our house. My Wife doesn’t use it either. Hence why the Starling fee policy, just isn’t an issue for us. We genuinely haven’t paid any physical cash into any bank account for literally years. My obvious problem, does sometimes happen abroad when I’m clearly forced out of necessity, to handle and pay for goods in cash. I just find it deeply unpleasant :laughing:

As I said further back somewhere, I don’t accept cash off anyone and paying for anything in cash in a shop is a last resort, though thankfully there are very few places that don’t accept cards these days, so it tends not to be an issue.

My personal view on Starling’s policy is that they’ve got it right and I still don’t think that it’s their responsibility to keep a customer informed of when the fees will hit for going over the £1k. That probably comes across as harsh, but they’re a business and it they occasionally make some money out of fees from folks who ‘forget’ just how much they’re paying in, then I just don’t see it as a big deal. We’ll never all agree on this, but that’s life.

Indeed, and we all follow our own path. R-

1 Like

It’s definitely past it’s sell by date. Some FB marketplace sellers insist on it though & it can be hard to turn down a bargain for the house.

I’d say more 30 year old blokes withdraw it for white powder than OAPs nowadays.

2 Likes

Anyone else logged into the Starling app and received prompts to check your personal details/update as required?

I’ve been prompted today. It takes the customer through your name, address, email/phone numbers etc, but then also asks what your salary/annual income is, what area of employment you’re into. Apparently, this is ensure that the account is not being used fraudulently and helps detect suspicious activity :roll_eyes: I can’t wait for a similar questioning from FD, Nationwide and Chase when they also see fit to ‘confirm my details’ at some point.

Did it with Starling and American Express earlier this year.

No problem as far as I was concerned. Took less than a minute.

I agree, it’s no hardship, it’s just I really don’t want to be bothered with it all if I’m honest, but then one could argue I’d be well upset if a fraudster hacked my account. Oh well, it is what it is.

Yep, same here. My brother had it with his business account before me. I haven’t actually had it with my business account, only my personal one.

It is what it is :man_shrugging: Wasn’t a bother to complete with Starling.

HSBC done it a few weeks ago on the business account though, and that was long winded.

Yep just had that myself and updated with personal account,m.

Starling have finally got round to adding their own logo to merchant information

4 Likes