Starling - general thread

Must be a fairly recent change. I got a new card about six weeks ago and it was a Tag card. Shame if the quality has dropped.

They don’t have a shimmer anymore and they feel really thin and flimsy. The lines covering aren’t wonky. The card details are printed on an angle.

Hallelujah! If this is the case for personal cards too, I might end up losing mine down the back of the sofa or something. I hated that shimmer

1 Like

I’ve thought they’ve always looked cheap :joy:

2 Likes

I have never really looked at them.

They live with my other bank cards in my safe.

Mobile wallet all the way for me tbh.

2 Likes

Only the other day I was remarking just that. My Algbra card went straight in the voluminous card repository. N’er to be seen again except in my Apple Wallet.

I’ve looked at my NatWest card and it does look better in a way. 86% recycled plastic as well! :joy:

Why do their updates continue to use superfluous rubbish? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Tut !
I’d thought they’d moved away from that. I’d much prefer some detail or none at all.

I’m very disappointed I will never get to experience this part of history :joy:

1 Like

Open an account with Nationwide, that would help your experience :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Well my 5 year banking relationship with Starling Bank has come to an end. I CASSed out to TSB for the promise of £200. This is a massive turnaround for me because I dumped TSB after their IT disaster vowing I’d never go back to them :rofl:. To TSB’s credit, the CASS process has been easy and they’ve kept me informed at every step via email.

Some might conclude I’ve taken a step backward closing the Starling door, but in truth, I haven’t made use of their banking services since I opened my Chase account well over a year ago.

I can’t deny, I eventually got utterly bored of their pie chart :laughing: The in credit interest is blatantly pathetic (in my opinion!). Admittedly, the uplift in their fixed rate savings rate will appeal to some who love to lock their cash away, but I’m very much a fan of EA savings, so I can’t get enthused over Starling`s new rates.

What I’ll miss? Nearby payments, but then I only ever carried out that function with my Wife :laughing:

So TSB has in App cheque cashing, for the one time in every 3 years I might get a cheque. I’ve been offered a TSB Platinum 0% interest spend credit card, something Starling can’t provide. Oh, and there’s no bloody pie chart when I open the TSB App :+1:

TSB debit card is a Visa card, has a notch in it and is a pleasant blue in colour.

The TSB App is far from a polished product. As it stands, there’s no in App secure messaging, it’s in the testing stage. Even so, bizarrely, I still like the TSB App better than Starling’s.

As far as spending abroad on a debit card is concerned, well I still have Chase.

Throughout the whole switch process, Starling didn’t contact me other than to send me a link to download 25 pages worth of statements. No ‘sorry you’re leaving’, nowt! Do I care? absolutely not! Starling App now deleted!

I’ll try not to cry too much if Starling never allow me to return as a customer. If I get desperate, there’s always Monzo :rofl:

5 Likes

I’ve just switched my Coop account to Tsb for the £125

A bit annoying having to wait for things in the post to get started online!

Time will tell if I’ll stick around for the £75 + £5 extras PM

1 Like

Agreed, however I guess it’s one way of proving ones address. Old school but it was no big deal if I’m honest.

If Starling wasn’t my longest banking relationship I’d probably can mine as well. Will probably do so when Chase passes 6 years

There’s no reason to. You’re leaving, and once underway, a CASS is pretty hard to stop. It’s not like giving notice to your broadband provider to negotiate a better price. From day 1 things start moving and once moved they’re not coming back.

2 Likes

You’re telling me stuff I actually know, but every other CASS I’ve done with every bank I’ve dumped in the last 6 years, I’ve had a sorry your leaving letter or email. To me that’s at least some acknowledgement from the former bank that as a customer, I at least mattered enough to say good bye, good riddance, adiós! Starling it seems can’t even be bothered with that :laughing:

I went through literally every high street bank in the last 8 months and not one said sorry you’re leaving. They sent a factual “you’re switching away and this is what will happen” letter which usually arrived after the CASS date and that’s about it. I think they all stopped pretending to care.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s my experience, too.

1 Like

I’ve clearly had highly unusual previous experiences. Either that, or I’m lying :joy: