The card design thread

Thing is, it was a replacement itself for my old Lloyds card that had my name in the format Mr Firstname M Lastname. Now having fairly long first and last names, the last letter of my surname ended up being embossed into the Visa logo, which made me want to cry :joy:

I asked nicely in app whether they offered altering the name on the card (and instead of admitting that it was purely for cosmetic reasons, I pretentded that the lack of contrast between the silver last letter and the white Visa logo background broke the OCR in apps like PayPal when adding a card using the camera since I thought they were more likely to offer a reprint for a reason like this :laughing:) - and they said yes! So my Lloyds card is now Mr F M Lastname and fits perfectly!

2 Likes

I don’t sign mine either!

A taxi driver once pulled me up on this and refused to let me pay with the card unless I signed it. Sooner the signature strip is gone for good, the better. I’m far more concerned with possibility of a thief having my signature if they steal my card.

My Monzo Plus card doesn’t have a signature strip I’m sure.

2 Likes

Now they have changed it on your account, you would assume the naming would carry over to new orders automatically.

Simply “lose” your card?

1 Like

Yes, the assistant said it would since apparently replacements simply copy the name on the previously issued one (but only for replacements/reissues of the Classic debit card for that account, so if I were to ever upgrade to Club Lloyds or take out a credit card, I believe I’d need to get it changed again).

I just feel bad about requesting a new one again, but I’m sure my obsessiveness will push my to do it soon!

1 Like

I’m not surprised to hear that, and I suspect that what was really meant was the labelling is set per product.

I’ve noticed that my name is formatted slightly differently on some of my cards compared to others with the group, yet my full legal name is registered the same with all of the accounts.

Upgrading or downgrading your account would result in a change in card type specified because the cards are different, so maybe at that stage the default is to pull in the name from your overall master customer record, which may overwrite how things had been set?

1 Like

I’m possibly alone here, but frankly, I don’t care about the design of the card, it could be pink with green spots at a 45 degree angle for all I care. I am solely interested in the contents of the card, not the design.

1 Like

Account functionality is most important, but it is a nice bonus if you also get a pleasant card too.

I know nobody really cares what card you are waving about on a daily basis; given choice I would prefer something I like looking at over something I don’t.

2 Likes

I would actually love that design. I’m all for garish and hideous!

I am also interested in the contents of the card, please send me the front 16 digits, the expiry and the 3 on the back

1234 5678 9012 3456

13/2099

3 Likes

Whereas I like a card that puts the personal details onto the rear to protect the information. Equally, a card with no magnetic strip (or the ability to turn it off) and other card controls appeals too.

3 Likes

Fully agree there.
The more minimalist the better in my opinion.

1 Like

I’d personally love a card with an in-app dynamic CVV; more secure and aesthetically cleaner.

Santander Mexico have a fully numberless card with dynamic CVV which I’d love to see come to the UK - it’d make me sign up for a Santander account, that’s for sure!

5 Likes

New debit cards are coming to Santander…

2 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about the new Santander designs. Though they’re better than the current ones.

I still don’t like that banks are lumping recycled plastic cards in with the term eco friendly cards

Besides the fact the plastic being used comes from recycled resources, it is anything but eco friendly. They’re still going to end up in landfills and take just as long to decompose.

1 Like

Do people remember all the affiliate credit cards you could get?

I had this one, through MBNA, before it changed ownership:

avfc

Also had one for the horse sanctuary - Redwings.

Don’t think either are available any more.

Yes used to be able to get rspca and cats protection and football credit cards. The football I had was with MBNA and I think cats protection or rspca was RBS.

3 Likes

Yeah, here were some of the smaller clubs :smiley:

Of course, no Manchester City as they were not the force they are now, back then.

1 Like

I had one of those team cards takes me back.

1 Like

The list of supported cards on the Apple Pay website list Posh Pay (Peterborough United) and QPR Pay. They appear to be a combined MasterCard debit card and stadium access card for season ticket holders.

https://www.theposh.com/fans/posh-pay/

3 Likes