Using Curve

So long as the currency is supported by Curve - they don’t support them all

IMO they should have a “pass through when we support the currency” mode and actually I told them about this years age

Yes, but then you’d need to be able to mark a card as ‘no overseas charge’. Also, they’d lose on the weekend charges which I suspect most people forget about.

Yeah but they shouldn’t be relying on breaking their USP of one card wherever, to make profit

I’m sure it’s no surprise to anyone, but that isn’t good business

“shouldn’t” being the operative word there.

1 Like

I haven’t used the card for 2 years. Doesn’t look as if I will ever do so now.

1 Like

Or just don’t use Curve, is probably the less problematic route.

Although I use Curve (essentially for the modest cashback and the GBIT feature) I must admit to wondering about the hoops folk seem to jump through using it, whilst having at least one (or probably more) cards they could use with absolutely no effort or problem at all. :thinking:

I have it for the occasional non-Amex accepting Google Pay use-case (get on with it please, Barclaycard!) and the equally occasional times where a debit card is needed. The latter feature was in theory nerfed by ‘Fronted’ but none of the real world applications I’ve found so far seem to have been affected by that.

I also use it for non-sterling transactions, but after this round I shall probably have to finally get an FX-free card of some sort instead for that.

2 Likes

GBIT was absolutely brilliant for moving credit card spend to cashback debit cards to smooth cash flow - but this has long since been a paid for feature. Wasn’t so bad when you could use a Plutus perk to cover it off, you still can for now but this is soon to change as well.

I will prob keep Curve as annoyingly I lodged it as a vpn based subscription card before the changes - this will cost me 8p extra now - or I could recoup the 8p by using Plutus at the underlying card :joy:

Thank you for this tip. I am new to curve and only got it so I can use Garmin Pay with Monzo and Barclaycard, I like being able to pay with my watch. Currently in Ibiza and switched currency just before getting on the plane, it’s working fine. But then of course I bought a UK train ticket today (£) without thinking and got stung with the weekend charge as curve converted it to Euros…

1 Like

The above was thanking Arnie7 for his tip on changing underlying card currency before traveling

1 Like

Welcome @doyle :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thank you @Graham I’m enjoying browsing this forum

3 Likes

Welcome @doyle

1 Like

Source

Quite a bold statement :smile:

So can they afford customer service now? :joy:

Curve is very good at burning through OPM (other people’s money) but I’ve still yet to see how they’d ever turn a profit

Used Curve yesterday for the benefits of 5% cashback Avanti West Coast train fare, however, I noticed that my Barclaycard balance had increased by twice the value of the tickets :thinking:

On investigation in the Curve app, my AVC transaction is shown twice. One as +£3.80 and then one as the fare debit of £3.80. No idea why, or how this will play out . . . . yet.

Transactions in pending status with Barclaycard, so will just watch the space.

Has anyone else experienced this with Curve though? Am curious :person_shrugging:

The same offer with American Express processed normally and swiftly, in comparison.