Who do you use as a main bank?

Interesting! You clearly have more trust in them than I do!

I only keep mine for the household expenses shared tab and for Flex (which I haven’t really used in ages).

But then I have a bee in my bonnet about many things Monzo :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I just switched the Barclays account into it on a whim a couple of years back.

If I could go back, I’d have probably gone with RBS instead.

But it’s really just there as a case of income in > to pots > rest to chase. I like Monzo’s payee management (how all my accounts are under one contact). So it’s my mule. I don’t send directly from Chase to Algbra at the moment, or from Chase to friends and family. Instead it goes back to Monzo and then I send from Monzo. But that’s more laziness on my part to set up the details somewhere new.

I also use Monzo for Trends and get a lot of value out of that, and so it does make sense to have that serving this role to make the most of it. When it gets Chase in (hopefully) a couple of Months, it’ll be the awesome hub.

And I might need to reclassify what I consider to be my main bank at that point, because there’s a fair argument to be made for Monzo.

1 Like

It’s an interesting debate about the “hoop jumping”. Some people think current account switching is effort enough to turn down the free cash, but most on fintech forums are happy to do it.

I collect £3 from RBS as I run those transactions through the account anyway as of my last job change. I used to pick up a mere £1 from the Coop for similar but that’s soon to stop.

TSB are offering £75 if you keep the account, use the card 5 times and month, pay in £500 and maintain the two DD’s you switched over. For a further 15 transactions I’ll get an extra £5 per month. Will I stick around for the extra money? Tbh I think yes, I can handle manipulating money to hit terms on a couple of accounts. I’m not sure I could do it on 3 or 4 or more though, it’d just create an itch to scratch about having too many accounts.

Even now I find having three cashback cards in Algbra, Uphold and Plutus too much - more margin for error with funds being held up, passwords mixed up etc.

One things for sure, sticking with the same old bank from 18 years of age is not the way to go - the question is “how far” and I think we all try to strike the right balance!

2 Likes

That makes sense! To say I don’t trust them would be an understatement. They say they’re making money work for everyone but I think a lot of their policies are as anti-consumer as they come. Just looking at your issue with the daft clock management and the fact that they fought it until their very last breath. Or my personal bugbears, the chat, and Flex not allowing pending payments to be carried.

But to stay on topic for me it’s:

Chase would be my main/hub account as I’m paid into them, a couple of personal DDs come out of it plus credit card bills from a CC pot. I also put all my spending through them that’s <£100 where Amex isn’t accepted (otherwise it’s Amex (wherever possible) and Barclaycard (non-Amex spend over £100))

RBS is my secondary hub account, it gets half my salary which is then sent off to regular savers and for bills to the joint account. (I couldn’t be arsed to change nominated accounts and set up payees again).

Though I’m thinking I might move back to RBS as my hub and just transfer spending money to Chase for no reason other than I miss the RBS app.

1 Like

Yes, I think we get ‘the point’, thank you :rofl:

This os exactly how I play the rewards game. Very automated, set once and forget except for a few where I have to do manual card spend

1 Like

HSBC - main
Chase - backup
RBS (Drummonds) - branch/ATM usage

£1 daily Amazon top up. You’ll get the £5 monthly cashback too. Jobsaguddon.

I don’t really use Amazon much but I’m between that, topping up YBS or doing it through Revolut (albeit a larger value to move)

And unlimited Paypal top ups or payments. I have the Paypal DD set up on most of those throw away accounts

I am having an issue with this atm as the app will not allow me to change the source bank DD without displaying a blank screen and going no further :person_shrugging:

Can use the one that PayPal shows first, which is my latest added one :thinking:

Have you tried making changes from the browser? I always make such changes in browser because I get problems with the app most of the time. Then when it comes to making a payment I am able to easily choose funding source in the app.
Edit: I have checked in the mobile app and there are no issues. I am on iOS 17 public beta 2.

No joy via browser either, as DD option not showing up at all in that :man_shrugging:

Royal Bank of Scotland.

On the page where you confirm bank account with a code, just below it is where the DD mandate is for you to electronically sign.

Aye but they require manually triggering. The beauty of the Amazon top ups is that other than funding the account they happen without any additional action.

The Amazon funding is handy for card transaction requirements only, Paypal can be used for both card charges and DDs.
At the moment I have no problems manually triggering DDs of £2 from Paypal every day 10 of the month. I have a reminder set for this. Then I have one for the Paypal credit that comes from Chase which I never play around with.

HSBC and has been for some time now. Everything I need under one roof, a pretty decent app (and getting better) and sufficient functionality to handle my needs.

Plus, they are absolutely fantastic support wise (HSBC Premier) - It’s now what I would consider to be the standard for any bank going forward.

1 Like

Time for a new poll? Let see how the pie chart has changed (keeping the same options for a comparison) :grinning:

• Bank of Scotland
  • Barclays
  • Virgin / Clydesdale
  • First Direct
  • HSBC
  • Meto
  • Lloyds
  • Monzo
  • NatWest
  • RBS
  • Revolut
  • Santander
  • Starling
  • TSB
  • Other (neo/fintech)
  • Other (traditional)
0 voters
2 Likes

The fact other is (at the time of this post) in first place would suggest you’ve probably missed off some important options that would have benefitted from having their own check box!

1 Like